COVID Cases Rise, Survey Shows Support For COVID Restrictions: In January 11 News
The federal government said provinces and territories will receive a total of 140 million rapid tests this month, although the release did not provide any new details on the date of deliveries.
The statement said Trudeau also stressed the need to promote supportive programs, such as the federal wage subsidy, to help people and businesses survive the latest public health closures and restrictions.
The call with the premiers came as the number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continue to rise across Canada.
Quebec reported an all-time high of 2,554 patients, including 248 in intensive care, while Ontario confirmed 2,467 hospitalizations and 438 intensive care patients.
The provinces also recorded a combined total of 20,279 new COVID cases, although the actual number is likely much higher due to a lack of access to testing.
The rampant spread of the Omicron variant has fueled alarms south of the border, where the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a new level 4 “avoid travel” advisory for Canada, citing a level “Very high” of COVID-19 in the country. He urged everyone who has to go to be fully immunized.
This quickly prompted the State Department to revise its travel advisory, which was at level 3, “reconsider travel,” to move its advisory to level 4: “Do not travel to Canada due to COVID-19.”
Also this …
A new poll suggests a slim majority of Canadians support the latest round of government-imposed lockdowns and other restrictions as the Omicron variant fuels an explosion of new COVID-19 infections.
Fifty-six percent of respondents to the poll conducted by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies agreed that governments are making the right decisions to limit the spread of Omicron and prevent the healthcare system from being invaded.
Another 31 percent said they didn’t think Omicron posed a serious risk to the health of most people infected, and that governments should leave things open and let Canadians live with the risk.
The remaining 14 percent said they didn’t know.
The results suggest that there is an increasing level of fatigue among Canadians when it comes to blockages, including those who have been fully vaccinated, said Leger executive vice president Christian Bourque.
“The actual support for immunization is very high, the perceived effectiveness is very high,” Bourque said. “Even among the vaccinated, they say, ‘You know what? I was vaccinated, I did everything I could. Let’s just live with it.
Several provinces say the wave fueled by Omicron threatens to overwhelm their health systems, with hospitalizations approaching or reaching record levels in Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick.
What we are watching in the United States …
Hospitals in the United States are increasingly taking the extraordinary step of allowing nurses and other workers infected with the coronavirus to stay on the job if they have mild symptoms or none at all.
The move is a reaction to severe hospital staff shortages and overwhelming workloads caused by the Omicron variant.
California health officials say hospital staff who test positive but have no symptoms can continue to work. Some hospitals in Rhode Island and Arizona have also told employees they can stay on the job if they have no symptoms or only mild symptoms.
The highly contagious variant of Omicron has exploded new cases of COVID-19 to more than 700,000 per day in the United States on average, erasing the record set a year ago. The number of Americans hospitalized with the virus is around 108,000, just below the peak of 124,000 last January.
Many hospitals are not only overwhelmed with cases, but severely understaffed due to the large number of employees with COVID-19.
At the same time, Omicron appears to cause milder disease than the Delta variant.
Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said health workers who have no symptoms can return to work after seven days with a negative test, but isolation time can be further reduced if there is a shortage. of staff. France announced last week that it was allowing health workers with mild or no symptoms to continue treating patients rather than isolating them.
What we watch in the rest of the world …
MOSCOW _ The President of Kazakhstan announced on Tuesday that a Russian-led security alliance would begin withdrawing troops from the country within two days of the end of its mission.
The predominantly Russian troops were deployed to Kazakhstan last week by the Collective Security Treaty Organization, a military alliance of six former Soviet states, at the behest of the president, amid the worst public unrest to which the former Soviet nation has been confronted since its independence 30 years ago.
Protests against soaring fuel prices erupted in the oil and gas-rich Central Asian nation of 19 million on January 2 and quickly spread across the country, with political slogans reflecting discontent broader view of authoritarian government. Over the next few days, the protests turned extremely violent, with dozens of
civilians and law enforcement officers killed.
In Almaty, Kazakhstan’s former capital and largest city, demonstrators set fire to government buildings and briefly took over the airport. Over the weekend, the unrest was largely assuaged.
President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev blamed the unrest on foreign-backed “terrorists” and insisted his request for CSTO help was justified.
“When this decision was made, we could have completely lost control of Almaty, which was being torn apart by terrorists. If we had lost Almaty, we would have lost the capital and the whole country, ”Tokayev told the Kazakh parliament on Tuesday.
The president said CSTO has largely completed its mission in the country and will begin withdrawing its troops in two days – a process that will take no more than 10 days.
Kazakhstan’s interior ministry said on Tuesday that a total of 9,900 people have been detained in the country because of the unrest.
On this day in 1995 …
A tentative deal was announced during the 103-day lockout of NHL players. The players ratified the contract two days later, after which Commissioner Gary Bettman announced that a 48-game season would begin on January 20.
In entertainment …
NEW YORK – The character of Isla Fisher in the new genre series “Wolf Like Me” is a romantic take. Type of.
She speaks four languages, makes cheese and pottery, and is good at close-quarters magic. On the other hand, she can be aloof and absolutely bestial. Oh, that reminds us: she has a pretty big personal secret.
It’s the setup for the ambitious new six-part series Peacock which begins January 13 and mixes slapstick comedy, adult drama, and heartbreaking trauma. Audiences went for a hell of a ride from the start, signaled by the series set in unexpected Australian suburbs and with the cast of Josh Gad and Fisher.
“Love is scary,” says Gad. “I think no matter how you slice it, we all have secrets. We all have baggage. And you don’t know what you’re getting until you’re in it. And then once inside, it’s too late.
“Wolf Like Me” was created, written and directed by Abe Forsythe, who previously wrote and directed the sci-fi horror comedy “Little Monsters,” starring Lupita Nyong’o and Gad. Like this film, “Wolf Like Me” mixes genres – this time romantic comedy and horror – to push into the absurd and come back with something sweet and dramatic.
“I was drawn to telling a timeless story in such a unique way,” says Gad. “Abe is such a brilliant guardian when it comes to challenging his artists to approach different tones and genres and do that juggling act that seems so alien, weird and impossible.”
Gad is best known as the cuddly snowman in “Frozen,” while Fisher played a comedic, unbalanced love role in “Wedding Crashers”.
“The casting of Josh and Isla was a big step in the final articulation of one of the main themes of this show, which is not to judge a book by its cover,” Forsythe said. “It’s not the usual way I’ve seen them, it’s what I ask the audience to do with the characters.”
In a medical first, doctors transplanted a pig’s heart to a patient in a last-ditch effort to save his life and a Maryland hospital said Monday he was doing well three days after the highly experimental surgery.
While it’s too early to know if the surgery will really work, it marks a milestone in the decades-long quest to one day use animal organs for vital transplants. Doctors at the University of Maryland Medical Center say the transplant has shown that a heart from a genetically modified animal can function in the human body without immediate rejection.
The patient, David Bennett, a 57-year-old handyman from Maryland, knew there was no guarantee the experiment would work, but he was dying, ineligible for a human heart transplant and had no other option. .
“It was either to die or to do this transplant. I want to live. I know it’s a shot in the dark, but it’s my last choice, ”Bennett said a day before the operation, according to a statement provided by the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
On Monday, Bennett was breathing on his own while still connected to a heart-lung machine to help his new heart. The next few weeks will be critical as Bennett recovers from the operation and doctors closely monitor the condition of his heart.
There is a huge shortage of human organs donated for transplantation, leading scientists to try to figure out how to use animal organs instead. Last year there were just over 3,800 heart transplants in the United States, a record number, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees the nation’s transplant system.
Previous attempts at such transplants – or xenotransplants – have failed, in large part because patients’ bodies quickly rejected the animal organ. Notably, in 1984, Baby Fae, a dying infant, lived 21 days with a baboon heart.
The difference this time: surgeons in Maryland used a pig’s heart that had undergone a genetic modification to eliminate a sugar in its cells which is responsible for this hyper-rapid organ rejection. Several biotechnology companies are developing organs from pigs for human transplantation; the one used for Friday’s operation was from Revivicor, a subsidiary of United Therapeutics.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published on January 11, 2022
The Canadian Press