The Michaels craft store in eastern Regina closed until February after a fire on Monday

A Michaels craft store in Regina’s east end is set to be closed until February 2023 after a fire Monday night caused extensive smoke damage, the company confirmed.

“Fortunately and most importantly, all team members and customers present at the time of the fire are safe and sound,” said Rachel Petersen, Michaels’ corporate communications and product manager.

By February, the store will be cleaned and repaired. Petersen said the company is currently investigating the incident.

Meanwhile, she said Michaels is exploring ways to support Regina employees through the holiday season and the store closure. Petersen said company employees will be the first to know when more details become available.

“Unsurprisingly, this is our biggest time of the year. But what I can honestly say is that our biggest priority is to make sure all team members and customers are safe. And we heard this news, and we’re so happy about it.” said Peterson.

Social media was abuzz following the incident, with Regina residents sharing concerns about how they would source for their businesses and craft projects.

RPS and firefighters on site

Regina Fire Deputy Chief Dustin McCullough said the department was called to the 2000 block of Prince of Wales Drive just before 9 p.m. CST Monday. The service responded with five devices and a deputy chief, McCullough said.

“Upon arrival, an employee had extinguished the majority of the small fire in the back of the store with a fire extinguisher, and the sprinklers activated, extinguishing the remainder of the fire,” McCullough said.

“The store suffered extensive smoke damage during the incident and our team remained on site to help ventilate the structure for a good period of time.”

No one received medical attention at the scene and EMS was not called.

The Regina Police Department is investigating what started the fire. The department said officers were dispatched to assist Regina Fire and Protective Services just before 9 p.m. CST.

RPS said the store and a nearby business were evacuated due to the fire.

Comments are closed.